The recipe caught my attention simply by the word “Malted” in the title. The word simply makes my heart palpitate!
This Malted Chocolate Mousse Tart needs to be next up on your baking agenda. It is a simple Oreo cookie crust filled with a light chocolate cheesecake mousse.
This was my first experience making a tart. I am not so sure what I was worried about! It was so easy and it released from the pan so smoothly. Just don’t carry it by the middle of the pan!
The filling is prepared with a little bit of cream cheese, melted chocolate, malt powder, sugar and heavy cream. First you need to beat the heck out of the cream cheese until it is really light. I always start with cold cream cheese because I think that it helps keep the integrity of the mousse.
You can usually find malt powder with the ice cream toppings or the chocolate milk mix-ins. I like to keep it on hand to add to milkshakes, frostings and desserts like the mousse tart. I used a chocolate malt for this dessert, but a vanilla or “plain” malt powder would work too.
For the pan, I used a 7” by 11” rectangle pan, but I am certain that my recipe will work in a 9” or 10” round as well. If you don’t have a tart pan, you could even use a spring-form pan too. The nice thing about the tart pan is that it has the scalloped edges, and the bottom is easily removed.
This no-bake recipe can be prepared in advance, and doesn’t require any baking. It’s great for summer and holidays! If there is one message to take away; it’s don’t fear the tart!
- 1 pkg Oreos
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter
- For the filling
- 1 pkg Cream cheese, 8oz (cold)
- 2 oz Chocolate chips (milk or dark)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- ½ C Chocolate malt powder
- ½ C Sugar
- 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- For the topping
- 1¼ C Heavy whipping cream
- ½ C Powdered sugar
- 2-4 oz Chocolate bar, chopped
- In a food processor, grind up Oreos into a fine crumb. Pour crumbs in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 6 tablespoons unsalted butter. Microwave for 30-45 seconds until butter is melted. Stir to coat crumbs with butter.
- Pour Oreo crumbs in the tart pan and use a spatula to press into the pan. Refrigerate crust until filling is ready.
- Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and beat on medium speed for two minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a small, microwave-safe dish, combine chocolate chips and butter. Melt for 30-60 seconds and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour melted chocolate over cream cheese and mix to combine.
- Add malt powder and sugar to the cream cheese mix, beat on medium speed until well incorporate. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping and beat on high speed for 2 minutes to incorporated additional air into the mousse. Pour filling into prepared tart shell. Refrigerate until mousse sets, 2-4 hours.
- Before serving, prepare whipped cream. Whip heavy cream on medium high speed for several minutes until bubbly.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on medium high until stiff peaks form. Pipe onto tart.
- Use a sharp knife and chop chocolate bar into slivers. Sprinkle over tart.