You may be beginning to understand my obsession with chocolate. If not, I promise that one day soon you will! I also love cupcakes. There is something about having your own little slice of heaven that you don’t need to share – it’s all yours!
To toast the coconut, spread about 1 and 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut onto a baking sheet and bake in a 350* oven for 3-8 minutes. Check after 3 minutes and stir, then check (and stir if needed) about every minute after. The coconut can burn very quickly, watch it closely!
Garnish the finished cupcakes with a drizzle of salted caramel. Trader Joe’s Salted Caramel Sauce (labeled Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce) was the choice in the recipe! Feel free to make your own caramel sauce or choose a high quality brand of your choice. It’s important to chose a salted caramel sauce (or add a bit of good quality sea salt), or the recipe will be overpoweringly sweet.
My tweak – I happen to love the Pillsbury Devil’s Food cake mix and that is the only change I’d make here. The original post on Glorious Treats uses a home-made chocolate cake recipe.
Salted Caramel Buttercream
This amazing frosting is perfect for chocolate cupcakes… or simply by the spoonful!
Yield: Frosting for 24+ cupcakes or an 8″-9″ (two layer) cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 oz. (1/2 block) cream cheese
1/2 cup good quality salted caramel sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Allow butter to set out at room temperature about 15 minutes (you can gather your other ingredients in the mean time).
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth.
3. Add cream cheese and continue to beat until fully smooth and well incorporated.
4. While slowly mixing, pour in caramel sauce (should not be warm).
5. Add vanilla.
6. Continue slowly mixing and add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, allowing the sugar to blend a bit before adding each additional cup.
7. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and then blend the frosting an additional 30 seconds or so. The frosting should be fluffy, and all ingredients fully incorporated.
8. Frost cupcakes or cake.
Recipe source – GloriousTreats.com